[kforge-user] Requesting to Join a Project in KForge

John Bywater john.bywater at appropriatesoftware.net
Thu Dec 16 00:34:11 UTC 2010

Hey Eitan,

Many thanks for writing to the list about this...

Eitan Marder-Eppstein wrote:
> Hey there,
>
> I'm looking at using KForge as an alternative to something like FusionForge
> or GForge and, so far, really like it. Things are just a lot
> simpler/cleaner. I do, however, have a question that I hope someone on this
> list might be able to answer. I should also say that I'm using KForge
> version 0.18.
>
> I'm wondering whether there is a way to be notified as a project
> administrator when someone wants to join your project. I poked around a bit
> and couldn't seem to find any sort of "Request to Join" button like I'm used
> to seeing on the other Forges. I did find a "Join Project" link at the top
> of the home page for a user, but as far as I can tell, it just takes you to
> the project list. Am I just overlooking something or is there no way to
> request to join a project?
>
> If the feature doesn't exist, I suppose I could write a service plugin to
> add it... or perhaps one exists already?

Unfortunately this feature doesn't exist yet, and it would be great a
thing to have. If you'd like to contribute some code, that would be amazing!

We probably wouldn't need to create a new service plugin. We would need
a button on the project "read" page for non-members of the project, and
something to send the emails.

It might also be useful for project admins to see when people have asked
to join on the project page, and for site users to see which projects
they have already requested membership (on their user page, and also on
the project page).

Then we'd probably also want to create an option for admins to reject to
requests. The option to accept the request could be simply be a link to
the "create member" page (initialised for that user).

Is that the sort of thing you're looking for?

> Thanks much and hope all is well,

All is indeed well! ;-) Thanks again for your message.

Best wishes,

John.