[knowledgeforge-user] Re: [kforge-user] knowledgeforge.net: get access to backups via rsync

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Mon Jul 24 11:07:37 UTC 2006

Francis Irving wrote:
> Should this still work? I get an error.

It should.

> owl:~/keep/photos/blog$ rsync knowledgeforge.net::knowledgeforge/parlparse
> @ERROR: chroot failed
> rsync error: error starting client-server protocol (code 5) at main.c(1171)

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. For some reason on a recent
reboot the rsync daemon did not come back up. This is now fixed and
everything seems to be working again.

> Also, can you tell me a bit more about the standard backup to a remote
> machine which knowledgeforge has? How much can, and should, I rely
> on it?

At present we do a standard rsync of that data. However because of b/w
issues at the download end (i.e. the backup server end) it is becoming
difficult to do a full backup of all of the knowledgeforge data. This
may be fixed in the future if/when we get a second dedicated server but
  for the time being I'd strongly recommend that you *also* backup your
data rather than rely purely on our backup.

If this situation changes I'll let everyone know. One last thing: if
there is anyone who would be happy to host the entire data backup in
addition to their own project's data that would be much appreciated as
the more backups we have the better.

Regards,

Rufus