[public-lod2] Official DBpedia Live Release

Jens Lehmann lehmann at informatik.uni-leipzig.de
Fri Jun 24 11:23:00 UTC 2011

Dear all,

the AKSW [1] group is pleased to announce the official release of
DBpedia Live [2]. The main objective of DBpedia is to extract structured
information from Wikipedia, convert it into RDF, and make it freely
available on the Web. In a nutshell, DBpedia is the Semantic Web mirror
of Wikipedia.

Wikipedia users constantly revise Wikipedia articles with updates
happening almost each second. Hence, data stored in the official DBpedia
endpoint can quickly become outdated, and Wikipedia articles need to be
re-extracted. DBpedia Live enables such a continuous synchronization
between DBpedia and Wikipedia.

The DBpedia Live framework has the following new features:

   1. Migration from the previous PHP framework to the new Java/Scala
      DBpedia framework.
   2. Support of clean abstract extraction.
   3. Automatic reprocessing of all pages affected by a schema mapping
      change at http://mappings.dbpedia.org.
   4. Automatic reprocessing of pages that are not changed for more
      than one month. The main objective of that feature is to that any
      change in the DBpedia framework, e.g. addition/change of an
      extractor, will eventually affect all extracted resources. It
      also serves as fallback for technical problems in Wikipedia or
      the update stream.
   5. Publication of all changesets.
   6. Provision of a tool to enable other DBpedia mirrors to be in
      synchronization with our DBpedia Live endpoint. The tool
      continuously downloads changesets and performs changes in a
      specified triple store accordingly.

Important Links:

* SPARQL-endpoint: http://live.dbpedia.org/sparql
* DBpedia-Live Statistics: http://live.dbpedia.org/livestats
* Changesets: http://live.dbpedia.org/liveupdates
* Sourcecode:
http://dbpedia.hg.sourceforge.net/hgweb/dbpedia/extraction_framework
* Synchronization Tool: http://sourceforge.net/projects/dbpintegrator/files/

Thanks a lot to Mohamed Morsey, who implemented this version of DBpedia
Live as well as to Sebastian Hellmann and Claus Stadler who worked on
its predecessor. We also thank our partners at the FU Berlin and
OpenLink as well as the LOD2 project [3] for their support.

Kind regards,

Jens

[1] http://aksw.org
[2] http://live.dbpedia.org
[3] http://lod2.eu

--
Dr. Jens Lehmann
AKSW/MOLE Group, Department of Computer Science, University of Leipzig