[public-lod2] Can we create better links by playing games?

Michael Hopwood michael at editeur.org
Wed Jun 20 08:03:40 UTC 2012

Hello Jens,

I'm sad to say I couldn't get the game going because it froze before I could answer my first question.

What this game is talking about, though, is something that libraries, museums and archives have been doing for a long time, and are still doing (although now there's much more outsourcing due to the fact that cataloguing and classification are perceived as high-cost, low return activities compared with full-text search of various kinds).

Librarians consider these activities essential, not necessarily tedious...!

The way this would be done in practice would not just be to check one source against one (almost randomly-selected) "expert" but to "triangulate" by comparing the questionable source (e.g. DBPedia) with a known, trusted source (e.g. CIA World Factbook) and then having the "expert" decide on each match's plausibility...

This is the reason libraries have reference departments, with lists and updates about standard reference sources, and huge amounts of resource invested in creating and maintaining authority files on basic data (e.g. VIAF, which is now integrated into ISNI).

Until we combine link validation with a notion of authority and trust, this approach is not going to be scalable (or useful to commercial applications). See also the VMF documentation on the need for mutually-agreed mappings between schemas (http://www.doi.org/VMF/documents/VocabularyMappingFrameworkIntroductionV1.0%28091212%29.pdf).

Best wishes,

Michael