[MyData & Open Data] this group's thoughts on definitions

Katelyn Rogers katelyn.rogers at okfn.org
Thu Dec 19 13:10:15 UTC 2013

Hi Stef,

Thanks for your input.

Regarding etherpads, while we no longer have private etherpads, we do have
public ones and as this is a public conversation please feel free to add
website comments here (http://okfnpad.org/p/OpenData&MyDataWG) rather than
in the google doc.

@Sam (and everyone): you can still create public etherpads @
http://new.okfnpad.org/

Thanks again,
Katelyn

On 19 December 2013 12:01, stef <s at ctrlc.hu> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 12:40:14PM +0000, Sam Smith wrote:
> > OKF have created a page for this group here:
> >       http://personal-data.okfn.org
>
> it defines "my data"
>
> > "My Data is information about me personally, where I am identified in
> some way,
> > regardless of who collects it"
>
> - which i believe is a very negative term.
>
> similarly to the dichotomy between free and open software. while "private
> data" is emphasizing the ethical aspects, "my data" is like the consciously
> unethical californian profit-making reinterpretation of that.
>
> please remove this definition and use "private data"
>
> > I'm sure we'll have comments, which anyone can leave here. I'll ping OKF
> and find out what their process is for changing things:
> >
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/10ZfCBi8W91m7_SIR7lwyOy9d0cmw5DUj7FCjg1cPXbc/edit
>

> haven't/couldn't check that for obvious reasons.
>
> > (no login should be required to edit that, and OKF have decommissioned
> their public etherpad which I used to be able to create things on)
>
> very sad.
>
> best,s
>
> --
> pgp: https://www.ctrlc.hu/~stef/stef.gpg
> pgp fp: FD52 DABD 5224 7F9C 63C6  3C12 FC97 D29F CA05 57EF
> otr fp: https://www.ctrlc.hu/~stef/otr.txt

Katelyn Rogers

Working Groups Community Manager  | katelyn.rogers at okfn.org
<https://twitter.com/joebloggs> |