[MyData & Open Data] this group's thoughts on definitions

stef s at ctrlc.hu
Thu Dec 19 20:22:34 UTC 2013

On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 03:48:02PM -0400, Song, Stephen wrote:
> I agree with Stef although perhaps not for precisely the same reasons.

:)

> Lastly, I think the Gun Map debacle (
> http://irevolution.net/2013/01/23/perils-of-crisis-mapping/) hints at the
> needs for a more nuanced approach to privacy that is no longer the binary
> option of open or closed.

i do not see causality between one badly applied technology and your
conclusion. i think this only shows that indeed there is a gap in
understanding where and how to wield the "open data flag" responsibly. we
should always make sure that we focus on publicly financed data or data, that
pertains to the functions holding power over parts of our society. deans,
politicians, law enforcement, banks, etc, must be transparent. civilians
demonstrating, being generally victims, getting a pension or healthcare, etc
must be protected. i believe, if this simple rule would've been applied the
above might not have caused so much excitement. lastly, i think, this issue is
of fundamental human rights, and as such i think we should contemplate the
meaning of the word "fundamental" for a few minutes before we continue into
"no longer black and white" land. ;)

--
pgp: https://www.ctrlc.hu/~stef/stef.gpg
pgp fp: FD52 DABD 5224 7F9C 63C6  3C12 FC97 D29F CA05 57EF