[MyData & Open Data] this group's thoughts on definitions

Javier Ruiz javier at openrightsgroup.org
Fri Dec 20 11:02:02 UTC 2013

I think Stef’s point on the Californian worldview has been quite developed by Morozov.  Giving people a “right to data” as individuals without building the corresponding mechanisms (legal, technical and social) for the collective construction of value is not enough. The current oligopoly of digital giants will end up syphoning that data to generate value, economic for them and practical for us, so we keep feeding them.

People like Jaron Lanier want to close this split by proposing that we get paid for our data, but the value of a little data is peanuts. The value of data increases with scale, whether it is the NSA global metadata social graph or motorway traffic. So, if only the oligopolies have the necessary infrastructure (das kapital, really) to create real economic value, why should they share it with you? They already give you convenience. And if you opt out, who cares. There are plenty of substitutes because not many people will do. Good luck sharing location data with your wife to calculate how long it will take to get home.

Thinking how to build our little data islands and digital identities without looking at the social perspective is very limited. If we just say “my data” we appear to define our digital experience purely in terms of ownership: personal property that we need to extract out of corporate-controlled digital devices.

Anthropologists have been grappling with alternative views of property in different contexts, like patenting human DNA or dealing with pollution impacts in tribal lands without “owner”. There is a lot to learn from outside of California.

http://derianga.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/kirsch-ptcv-2004-property-limits1.pdf

--
Javier Ruiz
javier at openrightsgroup.org (mailto:javier at openrightsgroup.org)