[MyData & Open Data] The value of data

Erik Josefsson erik.hjalmar.josefsson at gmail.com
Tue Dec 24 20:02:37 UTC 2013

On 12/24/2013 08:01 PM, Lancelot PECQUET (Will Strategy) wrote:
> Hi Erik,
>
> Thanks for your comments.
>
> I have had no time to watch Moglen's videos yet but they are
> definitely on my todo list.

I was lucky to find time yesterday! :-)

(was since long on my todo list too)

> I see what you mean with the "fracking industry" image but I am not
> sure how to transpose
> it to the situation we are talking about (maybe because the "new oil"
> metaphor itself is
> somehow flawed?).
>
> To some extent, if there is an "ecological substance" of data privacy,
> wouldn't we be talking about
> how corporations, countries and even individuals shall behave while
> using data (as we would
> say "energy") every day?

Well, that's exactly what I've been struggling with for the last years -
to find a language that can describe what we're up against. Maybe Moglen
has found a way to talk about it that can help us find solutions?

In particular what I find helpful is Moglen's exposé on consent, e.g.
"Environmental law is not law about consent. It's law about the adoption
of rules of liability reflecting socially determined outcomes: levels of
safety, security, and welfare."

I have been focussing on protection of privacy as regulating a power
relation between an individual and "some other entity". But indeed that
perspective is a weak defence against the "Trust Advantage" you referred
to, and of course any "scientific progress" discourse.

Happy to talk more.

Best regards.

//Erik