[MyData & Open Data] The value of data

stef s at ctrlc.hu
Tue Dec 24 22:34:22 UTC 2013

On Tue, Dec 24, 2013 at 08:01:50PM +0100, Lancelot PECQUET (Will Strategy) wrote:
> I see what you mean with the "fracking industry" image but I am not sure how
> to transpose it to the situation we are talking about (maybe because the
> "new oil" metaphor itself is somehow flawed?).

i actually think erik nailed it very well, fracking is the exploitation
maximizing short-term profit while externalizing the costs on the public. your
research sounds quite similar, how to maximize profits while not stepping over
some thresholds that makes it very obvious to the exploited how much this
short term private profits are harming the public in the long-term. of course
the big difference is, that tar-sands will never revolt against being
exploited... however i would encourage you to conduct this research, this
industry will not give up, until they find someone without conscience. so
instead someone with conscience should advice them not even to think about
this.

> To some extent, if there is an "ecological substance" of data
> privacy, wouldn't we be talking about
> how corporations, countries and even individuals shall behave while
> using data (as we would
> say "energy") every day?

i'm not quite sure what you mean. this discussion is not in the interest of
govs and industries. however i think we are having this discussion in many
other places, like this mailing list. no?

--
pgp: https://www.ctrlc.hu/~stef/stef.gpg
pgp fp: FD52 DABD 5224 7F9C 63C6  3C12 FC97 D29F CA05 57EF