[MyData & Open Data] distinctions between personal and open

Mark Elliot mark.elliot at manchester.ac.uk
Wed Jul 24 17:40:09 UTC 2013

Hi Javier,

The notion that "we can publish anything online if its anonymised" is indeed wrong headed and anyone touting such ideas needs to be corrected immediately. I would be grateful if you would let us know of specific instances of such language and we will intervene.

The sensitivity issue is very important and I agree that location data is particularly pernicious. I would happily participate in any attempts to haul mobile data companies into shared good practice; let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Best
Mark

Mark Elliot
Centre for Census and Survey Research