[MyData & Open Data] [open-government] Examples of dates of birth being published as part of the public record?

Bill Proudfit bill.proudfit at gmail.com
Tue Sep 3 06:53:26 UTC 2013

Is this 'public open data'?

For about one year now, a Macanese site has compiled marriage status, names
and birth dates of gamblers who owe others a lot of money.  Apparently the
police are investigating the site as a violation of personal data
privacy.  Members
of our Open Data Hong Kong group are sure there are a lot of Hong Kongers
in this database too.  We have not been able to find the site address and
the news reports do not list it.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/08/29/macau-gambling-debts-idUSL4N0GU0T920130829

On 2 September 2013 19:52, Jonathan Gray <jonathan.gray at okfn.org> wrote:

> I was wondering whether anyone might know of any examples of where
> personal information about living persons - such as dates of birth - have
> been published as part of the public record by public sector bodies?
>
> For example in relation to interest, lobby or political registries?
>
> While generally personal information needs to be carefully protected, we'd
> be interested to hear of examples of where there might be broader public
> interest arguments or exceptions for publishing this kind of data.
>
> All the best,
>
> Jonathan
>
> --
>
> Jonathan Gray