[MyData & Open Data] Fw: [TACD INFOSOC] ft.com Data-collection outpaces regulators

Javier Ruiz javier at openrightsgroup.org
Mon Jan 6 12:49:22 UTC 2014

A very superficial overview of some of the problems we have with making open data available.

"These companies search through government records, purchase histories, social media profiles and hundreds of other sources to construct profiles that include thousands of data points. Those details range from a person’s income, political affiliation and marital status to their type of credit card and health conditions. These companies know whether a person suffers from depression or smokes cigarettes, what he or she reads, weighs and how many whiskey drinks they have consumed in the past 30 days."