[MyData & Open Data] Invitation To The Data Privacy Legal Hackathon Feb 8th & 9th

Info SS info at smartspecies.com
Fri Jan 17 14:01:27 UTC 2014

Hello MyData Open Data List,

The OKF and has teamed up with Open Notice to Co-Host the London Location hackathon at the Centre for Creative Collaboration in   London.  This event is also being run in New York and San Francisco which make large teams across locations possible.

There are lots of questions about Open Data and My Data and lots of promising projects to get involved in.

Here is the official announcement.  We will be sending this out the mailing lists later today, we want this list to have a bit of an early warning before all the tickets get snapped up.

Here is the official links,

http://legalhackers.org/privacyhack2014/
https://www.hackerleague.org/hackathons/data-privacy-legal-hackathon

We will are co-organising a pre-hackathon project to build a  Map of Consent Laws across jurisdictions that people can use during the hackathon.

In addition, the Organiser of the New York Hackathon has asked me if I can pass this on.
> David Wainberg at AppNexus. They collect a ton of anonymous, non-PII behavioral data each month.  He's willing to hand over 1 million lines (less than 1%!) of this if he has a sense of how participants could use it.
>
> He also suggested a different perspective, a whole new hack:is there a market-based solution here?
> Collection of consumer data is arguably important for the Internet's development as a whole.  Can we come up with a way to collect data that sits well with people?  Can we come with an incentivized form of collecting data that doesn't raise eyebrows, yet maintains good consent and transparency practices?

If you are interested in helping out, getting involved with this data, being a mentor, or just participating please get in touch.

(blog post announcing the event is below)

Kind Regards,

Mark Lizar

Data Privacy Legal Hackathon

This is an unprecedented year documenting our  loss of Privacy. Never before have we needed to stand up and team up to do something about it.

In honour of Privacy Day, the Legal Hackers are leading the charge to do something about it.  Inspiring a two day international Data Privacy Legal Hackathon

This is no ordinary event. Instead of talking about it, this Data Privacy Legal Hackathon is about  action! A call to action for tech & legal innovators who want to make a difference!

Across three locations on February 8th & 9th, 2014
* New York City * London, UK * San Francisco

http://legalhackers.org/privacyhack2014/

This two-day event aims to mix the tech and legal scenes with people and companies that want to champion personal data privacy.   Connecting entrepreneurs, developers, product makers, legal scholars, lawyers, and investors.

Each location will host a two day “judged” hacking competition with a prize awarding finale, followed by an after party to celebrate the event.

The Main Themes to The Hackathon Are:
Crossing the Pond Hack
Do Not Track Hack
Surveillance & Transparency Hack
Privacy Policy Hack
Revenge Porn Hack

There are pre-hackathon projects and activities
Join the Hackerleague Page
A Consent Legal Map & Schema Project to create a legal map of the consent laws as a legal hackers tool for the event and projects posted at the event (many volunteers needed)
Brainstorming List of Hacks - Add your ideas
Share Tech and Links Page - Share your Knowledge
Hacks (Project) Page - Propose or Join a project
IRC Channel for Discussion

Sponsorship Is Available & Needed

Any organization or company seeking to show active support for data privacy and privacy technologies is invited to get involved.

Sponsor prizes, food and event costs by becoming a Platinum, Gold or Silver Sponsor
Participate at the event by leading or joining a hack project
Mentor projects or topics that arise for teams, to share your expertise.

Contact NYC sponsorship:            Phil Weiss email or @philwdjjd
Contact Bay Area sponsorship:     Mary Hodder -  Hodder (at) gmail (dot) com  -  Phone: 510 701 1975
Contact London sponsorship:        Mark Lizar - Mark (dot) Lizar (at)gmail (dot) com  - Phone: +44 02081237426 - @smarthart