[MyData & Open Data] [okfn-discuss] Right to be forgotten ruling

Pierre Chrzanowski pierre.chrzanowski at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 07:39:14 UTC 2014

To follow up on the subject, Google just announced it is launching an
Advisory Council and a public consultation :

*"For each of these requests, we’re required to weigh, on a case-by-case
basis, an individual’s right to be forgotten with the public’s right to
know. We want to strike this balance right. This obligation is a new and
difficult challenge for us, and we’re seeking advice on the principles
Google ought to apply when making decisions on individual cases. That’s why
we’re convening a council of experts."*

*http://www.google.com/intl/en/advisorycouncil/
<http://www.google.com/intl/en/advisorycouncil/>*

So now, as expected, we have a private entity, kindly seeking public advice
from an Advisory Council, to regulate on a case by case basis on what is
public information and what is not. I would say there is some irony in
there.

On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 12:34 PM, William Waites <ww at eris.okfn.org> wrote:

> Just for context. What happens when you consider this in relation to
> robots.txt? A website owner can tell search engines not to index a
> site or a specific page that way and have always been able to. There
> has even been the questionable practice by archive.org of
> retroactively deleting entries for a web site, which is very
> problematic when a domain lapses and changes hands.
>
> The difference here is a third party is able to assert some level of
> control over content on on such a web site, but the mechanism is not
> dissimilar. And of course the policy is now backed by a legal
> document.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> --
> William Waites | "This information is top security.
> ww at mostplaces  |  When you have read it, destroy yourself."
> wwaites at others |          - Marshall McLuhan

*Pierre Chrzanowski*
*Expert Open Data*

Mail : pierre.chrzanowski at gmail.com
Skype : pierre.chrzanowski | Twitter : @pzwsk