[MyData & Open Data] [okfn-discuss] Right to be forgotten ruling

Sally Deffor sally.deffor at okfn.org
Fri Jul 11 13:31:13 UTC 2014

There have been quite interesting (strategic)  responses so far from Google
since the ruling, but I have to say I didn't see this one coming. Quite
unlike it to open itself up to public involvement it this manner.

Sally

On 11 July 2014 12:00, Lancelot PECQUET <lancelot at pecquet.org> wrote:

>  Hello everyone,
>
> I understand that the European Commission is indeed thinking
> <http://ec.europa.eu/justice/data-protection/article-29/index_en.htm>
> (with their usual "suggestors") about
> a European standard regulation that could possibly overrule members state
> regulations.
>
> Will it be the least common multiple or the greatest common denominator of
> national regulations ?
> Imho, I doubt all UE countries will agree (or have resources) to reinforce
> controls and enforce higher
> standards...
>
> Pierre raises an opengov question regarding transparency and civil society
> participation at the EU level
> and, of course, I definitely agree with him.
>
> Lancelot
>
> Le 11/07/2014 12:03, Pierre Chrzanowski a écrit :
>
>  Hi Puneet, I actually think Google is handling the case quite well to
> their profit so far.
>
>  The irony to me is that thanks to a not very well though ruling from the
> ECJ, Google is now setting up a consultative decision-making process that
> could end with a legal framework on its own, coordinated by a private
> global entity, that substitutes to national regulators and rules on what is
> public information and what is not. Where are the Data Protection and Right
> to Info authorities here ? Will they have the capacity to handle and
> control all decisions made by Google on a case by case basis ?
>
>  I find the question raised by Google of high importance and I am keen to
> think and discuss about it but I would have really really preferred that
> question being raised by my National or European Parliament  and being
> discussed through a democratic process. Instead of that, we are now in a
> strange situation where we are offered to go into a consultative process
> and provide our knowledge and reflection on a matter of public interest to
> an entity we do not have control over but who is asked, obliged, to
> regulate that public matter.
>

> On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 10:58 AM, stef <s at ctrlc.hu> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 09:39:14AM +0200, Pierre Chrzanowski wrote:
>> > So now, as expected, we have a private entity, kindly seeking public
>> advice
>> > from an Advisory Council, to regulate on a case by case basis on what is
>> > public information and what is not. I would say there is some irony in
>> > there.
>>
>>  i think google did everything to maneuver itself into this gatekeeper
>> position.
>>
>> 2004, don't be evil
>> 2014, we changed policy
>>
>> --
>> otr fp: https://www.ctrlc.hu/~stef/otr.txt
>>

>  --
>  *Pierre Chrzanowski*
> *Expert Open Data*
>
>  Mail : pierre.chrzanowski at gmail.com
> Skype : pierre.chrzanowski | Twitter : @pzwsk

*Sally DefforOpen Data & Privacy Project Coordinator | skype:deffor.selase
| @SDeffor | +44 (0)7774 734206 The **Open Knowledge Foundation*
<http://okfn.org/>

*Empowering through Open Knowledge**http://www.okfn.org*
<http://www.okfn.org/>* | **@okfn* <https://twitter.com/OKFN>* | **OKF on
Facebook* <http://www.facebook.com/OKFNetwork>* | **Blog*
<http://blog.okfn.org/>* | **Newsletter <http://okfn.org/?s=Newsletter>*

*Have you bought your tickets <http://2014.okfestival.org/tickets/> to
OKFestival yet? Join us in Berlin in July (15-17)!*
*See you at OKFestival <http://2014.okfestival.org/> 15-17 July 2014*