[MyData & Open Data] Blog on open data ABOUT privacy

Sally Deffor sally.deffor at okfn.org
Thu Mar 20 09:23:51 UTC 2014

Hi Phil,
Thanks for this exposition. You are absolutely right that the definitions
need to be concrete and  un-ambiguous to the extent possible, keeping in
mind that individuals  will keep interpreting it the way they want to suit
their purposes (referring again to the
article<http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/feb/21/nhs-plan-share-medical-data-save-lives>by
Ben Goldacre).

We are hoping to refine and hone these operating definitions at an upcoming
workshop, and which we hope you will be part of.

Sally

On 20 March 2014 08:29, Phil Booth <phil at einsteinsattic.com> wrote:

> Laura's definition:
>

> *"Transformed Data* is information about individuals, where some effort
> has been made to anonymise or aggregate the data to remove individually
> identified elements."
>

> is *dangerously* loose, allowing others with less noble intent far too
> much wriggle room. Though I appreciate the definition is not solely hers -
> the ICO's Code of Practice on Anonymisation effectively boils down to the
> same thing - "some effort" is nowhere near good enough. Especially for rich
> data about human beings' lives, such as health data.
>

> The graphic immediately below the definition of 'transformed data' in her
> post http://personal-data.okfn.org/2013/12/13/open-data-privacy/ is very
> apposite. It was also used by the company (PDF attached) that was revealed
> in last weekend's Sunday Times to have been sold over a billion hospital
> records under commercial re-use license by HSCIC:
>

> http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/Health/article1388324.ece(£)
>

> and
>

> http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/mar/17/online-tool-identify-public-figures-medical-care
>

> and
>

> http://medconfidential.org/2014/commercial-re-use-licences-for-hes-disappearing-webpages/
>

> As I said at my talk at ODI, organised by ORG, this Monday - the Open Data
> community needs to be a LOT clearer about what Open Data is and isn't
> (JeniT absolutely gets this) and needs to defend its 'brand' / territory
> against the very real threat of co-option and/or confusion in the public
> mind from those pushing government data sharing initiatives that are
> nothing even close to Open Data - like care.data.
>

> To make myself absolutely clear: we (medConfidential) are in a live fight
> right now over the confidential medical information (GP records) of every
> man, woman and child in England. Our goal is to make every flow of data
> into, across and out of the NHS and care system consensual, safe and
> transparent - of the 3 of those, consent is by far the most tricky. But we
> don't have the luxury of talking theoretically, or about stuff way off in
> some indefinite future.
>

> Open Data absolutely has its place in this - as statistical releases,
> aggregated and properly treated as already appear on data.gov.uk (and
> MedRed via BT) - but it is being actively (ab)used as 'cover' by those
> driving the scheme, who either claim or don't bother to correct the
> misconception that what they are doing is some sort of 'open data'.
>

> If you weren't aware of this already, you now are. Please don't allow Open
> Data to become part of the problem.
>

> Sorry, but it's time to choose sides.
>

> Cheers,
>

> Phil

*Sally DefforOpen Data & Privacy Project Coordinator | skype:deffor.selase
Foundation*<http://okfn.org/>

*Empowering through Open Knowledge**http://www.okfn.org*<http://www.okfn.org/>*
Facebook*<http://www.facebook.com/OKFNetwork>*
| **Blog* <http://blog.okfn.org/>* |