[MyData & Open Data] Personal Data & Privacy round-up_November

Sally Deffor sally.deffor at okfn.org
Thu Nov 20 18:05:37 UTC 2014

Hi folks,

I just want to highlight a couple of updates from events over the past
couple of weeks. Firstly, there were just a handful of us from the WG at
the overwhelmingly huge MozFest2014 event, but quite a lot of discussions
centered on privacy and internet security, which is potentially of interest
to  most of you. I have attempted to capture some of the headlines in this
post <http://personal-data.okfn.org/2014/11/03/reflections-on-mozfest-2014/>.
If there are others who wrote about it, please do kindly share.

There was also the CIS-Kantara/Open Notice/TOS; Dr meet-up in London which
a couple of people attended in person and some of us virtually. You can
sign up to the group mailing list:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/opennotice for specific updates on
the meeting.

Last week, some of us were in London for the Open Up? 2014 event. We had a
demonstration booth there, and quite a few number of people stopped by
wanting to know more about the group. One or two said to me that they think
such a group is vitally important, especially at an event like Open UP?, so
it's good we had an opportunity to be there. As usual, I wrote about it in
my own capacity so views entirely mine (see post here
<http://personal-data.okfn.org/2014/11/20/challenging-the-open-by-default-principle-at-open-up-2014/>
).

Also, for those interested in knowing more about the Responsible
Development Data handbook (by engine room et al), Zara Rahman wrote a more
comprehensive post about it here
<http://personal-data.okfn.org/2014/11/17/responsible-data-in-development/>
.

Finally, I have mentioned in previously updates about the Personal Data &
Privacy resource guide which was under development. There is a hold-up due
to our current Wiki software, but I should be able to share the link to
this useful resource soon.

If there are any future events that you think the group should be
represented at, please do flag them on this list just in case there are
people in that (geographical) area who can participate. These are hugely
important as they are good platforms to connect with even more people, and
get more diverse viewpoints. We have got some promotional materials and
I'll be happy to send some through to people who need them.

Cheers,
Sally

*Sally DefforOpen Data & Privacy Project Coordinator | skype:deffor.selase
<http://okfn.org/>

*Empowering through Open Knowledge**http://www.okfn.org*
<http://www.okfn.org/>* | **@okfn* <https://twitter.com/OKFN>* | **OKF on
Facebook* <http://www.facebook.com/OKFNetwork>* | **Blog*