[MyData & Open Data] Personal data & privacy logo

Antti Jogi Poikola antti.poikola at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 11:00:33 UTC 2014

Hello,

On 23 October 2014 12:52, stef <s at ctrlc.hu> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 07:22:12PM +0300, Antti Jogi Poikola wrote:
> > I would prefer having My Data in the name of the group.
>
> can you explain please why you think that we need to re-frame what is
> already
> covered by human rights conventions?

Gladly! Beside the juridical right, the term My Data underlines the
usability of personal data for the people them selves i.e. having the data
in machine readable form etc.

I have earlier suggested that My Data would be subset of personal data. Out
there is lot's of personal data covered with privacy regulation but still
completely inaccessible and unusable for the data subjects. My Data would
be that part of personal data that I can actually get and something with.

For example following the Finnish law I was able to get my location
coordinates (personal data) from my teleoperator from past six months , it
was about 100 pages of paper that they mailed me [image 1]. I would love to
have that same data as "My Data" in machine readable and more usable form.

The usability of the personal data for data subjects them selves is in my
opinion not at all contradictory to privacy. By advocating usability of
personal data we could copy a lot from the open data movement (this is
still group under Open Knowledge) and strive towards privacy in progressive
manner.

To conclude: I would not be re-framing privacy and personal data. My Data
would certain focus inside the wider topic which many others are targeting
and advocating from other angles.

BR: Jogi

[image 1] https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2949803/teleoperatordata.png