[MyData & Open Data] [Open-education] The Quantified Student

Tore Hoel Tore.Hoel at hioa.no
Fri Sep 19 09:15:09 UTC 2014

Hi all,

This is a good discussion that should be carried forward (thanks Marieke - restart it again when it dies out).

The laceproject.eu<http://laceproject.eu> had a workshop this week in Graz - and I introduced the theme of Privacy and LA by looking at how we understand Privacy - suggesting a contextual framing inspired by the work of Helen Nissenbaum. You find my slides at http://www.slideshare.net/toreh/privacy-la-laceworkshopgrazsep2014

We will also organise a workshop on Ethical questions and dilemmas of Learning Analytics in Belgrade next week (don’t expect a huge turn out, but will publish slides on my Slideshare channel).

I support Terry’s points on being careful to reduce learning to everything measured. However, that does not solve the privacy problem we have - a problem we have not yet really got our heads around, e.g., if privacy is all about contexts - how do we scale LA?

Cheers

-Tore

-----
Tore Hoel