[MyData & Open Data] Anonymisation Audit Contacts

stef s at ctrlc.hu
Thu Apr 2 11:27:29 UTC 2015

On Thu, Apr 02, 2015 at 11:21:36AM +0100, Javier Ruiz wrote:
> I would agree with Stef (and others) on the precautionary principle, in principle.

it has a name? good, i'll refer to it as such from now on.

> But if you have to release the data anyway for compliance or other reasons beyond your control you might as well do the best you can.

i don't quite get this, is this like "meh, can't fight it, why not join it?"
i mean, if you see blatant violation of privacy, but it's "in the contract",
you just shrug? or do you actually not sign the contract and blow the whistle?
there's lots of things people can do not to become accomplices.

> The caveat may be on the word “ensure”.
> Where are you based? In the UK most of the expertise is in academia but there are groups trying to set up consultancy services, e.g. via the Open Data Institute.

consultancy service sounds interesting, what incentive system is behind that
so it is an independent and responsible authority, and not a rubberstamping
commercial enterprise - like so many others, selling their approval to anyone?

--
otr fp: https://www.ctrlc.hu/~stef/otr.txt