[MyData & Open Data] [globalpriv-discussion] Catalonia to sell "anonymised" medical records

Phil Booth phil at einsteinsattic.com
Thu Apr 2 22:33:39 UTC 2015

Yes, that was one of the first 'successes' we had in the UK - we won a 'no
quibble' opt-out for anyone who wanted to exclude their (GP-held)
identifiable data to be collected, regardless of the fact that the proposed
outputs were claimed to be "anonymised". It's great news if this might be at
all useful in Canada.

Of course, it took over a year's more work to ensure that this political
promise by the Secretary of State for Health was actually going to be
respected by the people pushing the care.data programme, and the right is
still (as I write) not a statutory one, as it should be.

I'm inclined to agree that there could be *much* better interfaces for
consent, but I fear the (economic) incentives are unfortunately stacked
against their development. What pass for 'privacy settings' are in most
cases exactly the opposite; an attempt to make choices deliberately
confusing/frustrating by corporations and bureaucracies that are highly
motivated to make their own use of the data they hold - cf. Facebook
settings, etc.

(In much the same way as there's still a great deal of work to be done
around 'ease-of-use crypto', I reckon there's still plenty of R&D and
operationalisation to be done on the individual articulation of privacy
choices / privacy sensitivity - and it falls slap bang in the centre of
humankind's blind spot around risk, to boot.)

Phil