[MyData & Open Data] Collaborators/question about opening particular datasets

Song, Stephen stephen.song at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 16:41:34 UTC 2015

Hi all,

A few other questions come to mind in the context of this although some
could easily be off-base given lack of details of the project.

1/  What are the fiduciary responsibilities of both DFID and the startup
for the ongoing storage and security of this data?

2/  If there is any PII at all in the datasets, what steps will the startup
undertake to offer reasonable guarantee of its security?  What is a
reasonable guarantee of security?

3/  What will happen to the data, especially any PII, if the startup
becomes insolvent?  Are they permitted to re-sell it?

4/  Could the anonymous data be combined with other data sources to create
PII?  Or are they are issues related to the aggregation of this data that
might affect communities or groups at risks, not just people but also
possibly ecosystems, animal populations?

5/  Are there ethical issues related to the fact that a large amount of
Mozambican data will be in the hands of the UK government and a startup
founded by a South African but perhaps not in Mozambican hands?  Where is
the startup incorporated and under what data laws must it operate?  Does
the data-hosting country come into the picture?  For example, I see
Mowoza's server is hosted in South Africa.

Were I in DFID's place, I would engage an organisation like the Engine Room
(https://www.theengineroom.org/about/) or one of a small number of similar
organisations who are thinking proactively about responsible data to help
DFID, LBS, MoWoza, and their Mozambican partners talk some of these issues
through.   This might make a very interesting case study.

Regards... Steve Song

Steve Song
+1 902 529 0046
http://manypossibilities.net