[od-discuss] introduction

Tom Lee tlee at sunlightfoundation.com
Fri Aug 13 15:30:05 UTC 2010

Hello all -- just a quick note to introduce myself.  I'm Tom Lee, director
of Sunlight Labs, the technical arm of the Sunlight Foundation.  I'm looking
forward to being a part of this important discussion, and hope that you'll
all feel free to reach out to me individually if there's some way that I or
Sunlight can be of help to you.

Rufus has already posted our just-released set of ten open data principles (
http://sunlightfoundation.com/policy/documents/ten-open-data-principles/) to
this list, so perhaps I ought to begin by mentioning it. First: I'd be glad
to hear any thoughts or suggestions for improvement that it might prompt.
 We're offering it in the spirit of evolutionary enhancement of work that
Sunlight had previously participated in -- a necessary update to a tool we'd
already been using.  Our experience lobbying the government has convinced us
that achieving openness is more about fostering a norm than about finalizing
a spec, which makes us less worried about the dangers of proliferating
standards, so long as they're broadly in agreement (though I certainly
understand and respect the fact that others may disagree).

Tom