[od-discuss] Is the Irish PSI license compliant withOpenDefinition.org

Andrew Stott andrew.stott at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 11 14:49:27 UTC 2011

I agree with Mike too: -1

There's nothing new about using government facts and figures in advertising.
It would be reasonable to require that the advertisement does not imply that
the government *endorses* the product, but that would be caught in the UK by
the general provisions of the Advertising Standards Authority.  The UK Open
Government Licence additionally covers the point with "ensure that you do
not use the Information in a way that suggests any official status or that
the Information Provider endorses you or your use of the Information." which
covers advertisements as well as any other use.  I see no reason to go
further.

There is a related issue with use of contact information for direct
marketing which I have come across recently.  The UK Charity Commission
Register of Charities contains contact details including email addresses.
The Charity Commission insist on a restrictive licence and scrutiny of the
proposed usage, partly to prevent the contact details being used for direct
marketing (see clause 16 of
http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/About_us/About_charities/copyrightreg.a
spx ).  I have some sympathy with the direct marketing point, especially
where email addresses are involved, but restricting access to the whole
dataset is disproportionate - it would be equally effective just to remove
the email addresses from the Open Data version of the file.

Andrew Stott