[od-discuss] UK OGL Compliant?

Herb Lainchbury herb at dynamic-solutions.com
Sun Jan 1 19:56:49 UTC 2012

Mike,
To make sure I understand you, I think you're saying:

   1. restrictions 1b and 1c should be permitted under the opendefintion
   2. the clause I drafted raises the issue of DRM/TPM restrictions

My thoughts:

   1. Restrictions 1b and 1c are already covered by laws in most countries
   (fraud).  While these restrictions don't appear to impose any additional
   constraints on consumers, I wouldn't want to have that argument be the
   basis for allowing all sorts of redundant restrictions.  Publishers,
   however, seem to be sensitive about this and feel the need to reiterate the
   law in this particular instance.  If we don't allow this, we run the risk
   of eliminating existing licenses on this basis, which I would rather not
   do.  I would probably favour allowing these two particular restrictions,
   which would mean one more small change to the opendefinition.

   2. I think that DRM/TPM needs to be restricted, however, doesn't my
   proposed clause cover this by restricting ALL other restrictions?  If we
   feel we need to explicitly include a clause about this then we could
   potentially adapt language from CC which says: "You may not impose any
   effective technological measures on the Work that restrict the ability of a
   recipient of the Work from You to exercise the rights granted to that
   recipient under the terms of the License."

Thoughts?

Herb

ps.  Happy New Year all!

--