[od-discuss] UK OGL Compliant?

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Sun Jan 8 11:51:39 UTC 2012

On 08/01/12 01:58, Mike Linksvayer wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 5:29 PM, Herb Lainchbury
> <herb at dynamic-solutions.com <mailto:herb at dynamic-solutions.com>> wrote:
>
>     My mistake.   I think (hope) I get what you were saying now.
>
>     There is a class of licensing restrictions like:
>        * no redistribution with DRM
>
>     The question is, can a work be released with a license containing a
>     restriction like that and still be considered open.  Right now my
>     additional clause would say "No" and I think that's the right answer.
>
> That's a reasonable position, in particular on DRM (though usually not
> majority opinion),

DRM is a restriction that can be used to make resources non-free.
Disallowing it ensures that the work remains free. Even if we have to
regard this as a restriction rather than as a refusal of restriction for
some reason, its net result is more general freedom.

Like copyleft, this is a measure that ensures freedom for everyone
globally rather than privileging individual power over others locally.

- Rob.