[od-discuss] Schema for open licenses

Kent Mewhort kmewhort at cippic.ca
Mon Jun 18 15:36:42 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I'm working on a project to create a web-based tool for analyzing
interoperability between different open licenses, with a focus on data
licenses.  As I first step, I'm going to develop a schema to describe
the core legal terms of a license in a machine-readable format.  This
will allow for an automated first-level analysis of interoperability
(certainly, many licenses will still need a much more detailed analysis,
but I'm confident an automated analysis of the core license terms can
provide a reasonably accurate picture).

A good way for me to do this could be to branch the OD github repo,
expand the JSON schema, and start filling it in for different licenses.

Is this something that others think might be worthwhile to push back
into the core at a later time, assuming development goes well?

Also, I took a first stab at some of the elements that I'm looking to
include.  Anyone see any important license elements that are missing
from this description?

Domain:
-Government open data
-Non-government open data
-Open source
-Content

Categories of rights granted:
-Use and Reproduce
-Modify
-Distribute

Scope of rights/permissions (whether granted or waived)
-Copyright
-Neighbouring rights
-Database rights
-Moral rights
-Trade-mark
-Patent
-Circumvention of TPMs
-Commercial purposes

Attribution requirement:
-Specifically worded attribution (inc/ field for wording)
-Flexible attribution

Copyleft / share-alike applies to:
-Original work (verbatim copy)
-Any modified file
-Adaptations / derivative works
-Compilations / Larger works

Copyleft (if any) kicks-in upon:
-Use
-Distribution
-Access over a computer network (Affero)

Disclaimers
-Disclaimer of warranty
-Limitation of liability
-Indemnity

Termination
-Termination at discretion of licensor
-Automatic termination upon breach
-Automatic reinstatement

Choice of law
-None specified
-Specific jurisdiction
-Principal residence of defendant
-Principal residence of plaintiff
-Principal residence of licensor

Choice of forum
-None specified
-Specific jurisdiction
-Principal residence of defendant
-Principal residence of plaintiff
-Principal residence of licensor

Kent

--
Kent Mewhort
Legal Staff

Ph:  (613)562-5800 (ext.2556)
Fax: (613)562-5417

CONFIDENTIALITY CAUTION AND DISCLAIMER
This message is intended only for the use of the individual
or entity to which it is addressed and contains information
that is privileged and confidential. If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or
agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended
distribution or copying of this communication is strictly
please notify us immediately at (613)562-5800 (ext.2556) and
delete the original message. If you are the intended recipient
of this message, we remind you that electronic mail on the
Internet may not be secure and that this message was not and
future messages will not be encrypted or otherwise protected,
unless specifically requested, in which case, special
arrangements will be made.