[od-discuss] Open Data Buttons

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Mar 9 17:59:19 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 5:17 PM, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org>wrote:

> Ah the curse of changing themes in wordpress -- all your footer
> widgets go walkabout.
>
> This is actually a serious problem. Many licences are attached to sites
and containers rather than documents and components of documents. I have
had the same problem as Rufus - I don't control my wordpress site and every
so often the licence gets dropped.

It's even worse for images. If I publish in an Open Access journal (CC-BY)
and someone re-uses an image (which they may, of course do) then the image
doesn't carry a licence automatically. Yes, the re-user is required to
carry the licence but it's hard work for each image and some of us
occasionally slip up. Is there a solution for this?

Let's assume that an author wished to protect their images from downstream
appropriation. Is there a tool for embedding something in the image that
obviously shows that it has been made CC-CY or CC0 or whatever so that a
re-publisher cannot stamp their copyright on it? This applies very strongly
to science where I'd like to see a way of protecting the Openness of images
before the publishers claim them. (I'm thinking of images such as graphs
the authors or the authors software drew, not cultural works)

P.

--
Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics