[od-discuss] Exploring licence compatibility

Leigh Dodds leigh at ldodds.com
Mon Aug 12 15:59:02 UTC 2013

Hi,

I've recently been doing some research around "licence compatibility"
with a goal towards publishing some guidance on the implications of
various open data licences for publishing derived datasets.

I've just published a blog post on the ODI blog that describes the
work [1]. The document itself can be found at [2].

I've also taken some previously published matrices that covered only
CC licences and tried to extend them to other licences, including OGL
and the various ODC licences. The matrices are referenced from the
document, but the source spreadsheet is at [3].

I'd welcome any feedback that the group might have. I've tried to pull
together existing material and present it in a way that highlights the
important use cases. Hopefully I've not included any factual errors,
if I have then please let me know!

Clearly there's a lot of nuances around this topic, but I hope that by
focusing on some individual use cases -- specifically, creating simple
derivatives from single sources and remixes of multiple sources --
that this could be a useful resource for people looking to create
derived datasets.

I'm happy to take feedback directly, or feel free to comment on github
or the google spreadsheet.

Cheers,

L.

[1]. http://theodi.org/blog/exploring-compatibility-between-data-licences