[od-discuss] Getting the Open Game License accepted under the Open Definition

Chris Sakkas sanglorian at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 04:28:42 UTC 2013

Thanks for following this up, Mike. I appreciate your advocacy.

I see a larger role for the OKFN in the future in engaging with free
culture and not focusing on data, the public sector and research. I think
the Public Domain Review is a good start, and shows that there's an
appetite for this sort of thing.

The Open Game License is certainly a consequential and popular cultural
licence. Thousands of products have been released under it; its structure
and scope are distinctive; and its origin is (as far as I know) unique in
that it is a non-software public copyright licence created by a company.

However, I also recognise the feeling that the License is outside of OD
expertise and perhaps the OKFN's current scope. I might push again if the
License is used for the upcoming Dungeons & Dragons fifth edition or if the
OKFN expands further into free culture.

Cheers,
Chris

*Chris Sakkas