[od-discuss] Provincial and Game OGLs; Open Definition 2.0

Wrate, David GCPE:EX David.Wrate at gov.bc.ca
Sun Dec 8 17:17:48 UTC 2013

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful responses to my question.

We clearly have some thinking ahead of us.

David

On Dec 8, 2013, at 6:11 AM, "Andrew Stott" <andrew.stott at dirdigeng.com<mailto:andrew.stott at dirdigeng.com>> wrote:

I agree with the interpretation of the UK licence by Herb and Kent.

As Kent suggests, the intent is to exclude information whose disclosure was unauthorised.  As Herb says, it is a test of the fact of release, not of interpretation of legislation.  I suspect that it is needed here partly because of the standing offer to license almost all Crown Copyright material under the OGL-UK [1], including information published or disclosed on other terms before the OGL was introduced.

I also consider that Kent’s construction of the clause is the right one – the alternatives are “published” or “disclosed under information access information”.  Although the UK FOI Act provides for “publication schemes”, most published information is published without the specific authority of the FOI Act – indeed there have been cases, such as the COINS database, where data has been published as an act of policy even though access to it had previously been *refused* under the FOI Act.

In the UK “information access legislation” is not just the Freedom of Information Acts: there are other rights to information, for instance under the Environmental Information Regulations [2].

[1] http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/information-management/government-licensing/what-ogl-covers.htm

[2] http://www.ico.org.uk/for_organisations/environmental_information