[od-discuss] Are EC's legal notices for the new EC data portal OpenDefinition compliant?

Timothy Vollmer tvol at creativecommons.org
Thu Jan 10 17:30:41 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 7:54 AM, Jonathan Gray <jonathan.gray at okfn.org>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> As some of you may have seen, the EC recently released a new data portal
> for datasets generated and collected by European bodies [1].

The open data portal relies on the reuse decision for Commission documents
as its "license." That decision [1] includes a provision in Article 6 that
requires:

(b) the obligation not to distort the original meaning or message of the
> documents;

This seems similar to the clause in the UK OGL [2] and other licenses that
says users must "ensure that you do not mislead others or misrepresent the
Information or its source;"

This is probably not in line with the Open Definition. Is this right?

   -

[1]
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2011:330:0039:0042:EN:PDF
[2] http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/doc/open-government-licence/