[od-discuss] [open-government] OGL-Canada proposal feedback from the Open Definition Advisory Council

Mike Linksvayer ml at gondwanaland.com
Thu Jan 31 23:54:09 UTC 2013

I'm not sure what the OGP-C review is. Open Government Partnership?
Would love to know how it fits...

Re the OGL-C feedback, a bit more background:

PSI licenses created by governments seem to be a growing trend last
few years, usually with some problematic terms. OGL-UK is probably the
highest profile one, and perhaps most interesting from an Open
Knowledge Definition perspective, as it is clearly intended to be
open, but nevertheless has problematic terms that we hope to
eventually see corrected, and not propagated into licenses from other
governments.

There's been discussion of these issues over the last couple years in
a number of places, but two quick links are
http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/od-discuss/2011-December/thread.html#84
(continues in next 3 months' archives) and section 7 of
http://epsiplatform.eu/content/topic-report-no-23-creative-commons-and-public-sector-information-flexible-tools-support-psi
which covers OGL and related issues, with footnotes.

OGL-C (based on OGL-UK) feedback period was noted at
http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/open-government/2012-December/002495.html
with substantial discussion at
http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/od-discuss/2012-December/thread.html#233

Link I sent is summary of feedback discussed last month, also
submitted to the OGL-C feedback site.

I hope above counts as a bit of context, but please tell me if it
doesn't make sense. :)

Mike