[od-discuss] Getting the Open Game License accepted under the Open Definition

Chris Sakkas sanglorian at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 08:30:01 UTC 2013

Hi folks,

I thought I'd take another shot at this now that I've seen the License
Approval Process on the Open Definition site.

*The Open Game License:* http://www.opengamingfoundation.org/ogl.html

*Rationale: *The licence was created to put the rules to the then newly
released third edition of the tabletop roleplaying game *Dungeons & Dragons
*under a licence that would both allow third party publishers to create
supplementary works and protect the 'product identity' of the
thirty-year-old *Dungeons & Dragons *brand.
*
*
*Specific to an Organization/Place/Jurisdiction: *No. It was designed for
use with text but has been used with images, and it has been used by
hundreds of publishers and individuals.

*Compare and contrast:*
*
*
Probably the most useful comparison is between the OGL and the OD-compliant
GNU Free Documentation License. The GNU FDL has optional sections that make
the licence non-free. Mike Linksvayer suggested that Product Identity in
the Open Game License plays the same role: when exercised, Product Identity
renders a use non-free/libre/open, but when Product Identity is not
exercised, it is free/libre/open.
*
*
*Benefits versus licence proliferation:*
*
*
Ideally, the licence would be deprecated and all the works under the
licence would be ported over to CC BY-SA. Unfortunately, the cat is out of
the bag and the OGL remains the licence of choice for many tabletop game
publishers.

*Compatibility:*
*
*
I doubt the Open Game License is compatible with the Creative Commons
licences with Attribution clauses. The Open Game License requires a very
specific and limited form of attribution.
*
*
*Public drafting process:*
 *
*
None. Done in house by Wizards of the Coast.

*Previous discussion on this list:*
*
*
http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/od-discuss/2012-December/000227.html*
*
http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/od-discuss/2012-December/000228.html
http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/od-discuss/2012-May/000149.html

---

Thanks folks, it would be good to see a final decision on this one way or
the other. I think the Open Game License is not only currently relevant and
of historical importance, it's also a case study that let's us test and
explore where the boundaries of the Open Definition are.

It will also have practical consequences. I currently index the >100 OGL
licensed works as free/libre/open on the FOSsil Bank (
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/licence:ogl/), but would switch to indexing
them as proprietary if that's the way this list goes.

Cheers,
Chris

*Chris Sakkas
**Admin of the FOSsil Bank wiki <http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/> and the Living