[od-discuss] FW: Draft Response to Calgary

Simbirski, Walter Walter.Simbirski at calgary.ca
Tue Jul 16 14:49:01 UTC 2013

From: Simbirski, Walter
Sent: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 8:44 AM
To: 'Herb Lainchbury'
Subject: RE: [od-discuss] Draft Response to Calgary

My apologies for not responding sooner but due to the floods in Calgary I have just been able to get access to my emails. I will circulate the response to my colleagues for response when I receive the official version. With respect to the termination clause - how does this compare to:

"Any breach by You of the terms and conditions of this License automatically terminates this License with immediate effect and without notice to You. For the avoidance of doubt, Persons who have received the Database, the whole or a Substantial part of the Contents, Derivative Databases, or the Database as part of a Collective Database from You under this License will not have their licenses terminated provided their use is in full compliance with this License or a license granted under Section 4.8 of this License. Sections 1, 2, 7, 8, 9 and 10 will survive any termination of this License."

My thoughts are that it isn't the termination or revocation of the license that is at issue it is the use of language such as,

"Furthermore, The City may, in its sole discretion, cancel or suspend your access to the Data without notice and for any reason, including anything which The City, in its sole discretion, believes is a breach of these Terms of Use or is otherwise unlawful or harmful to others."

Which implies that the license could be terminated even though the user is in compliance with the terms of use.

Is that a fair assessment?

Thank you

Walter