[od-discuss] [Open-data-census] Moldovan open license

Andrew Stott andrew.stott at dirdigeng.com
Mon Jul 1 10:37:56 UTC 2013

Jonathan

Thanks; I’m copying in Irina Tisacova who is responsible for date.gov.md in the e-Government Center of Moldova.

Working on the Google Translate version:

(1) there’s a requirement “not [to] distort the meaning of the original message or document.”.  This is similar to the old misrepresentation provision in the UK-OGL v1, and such a provision would probably not accord with the Open Definition.  It’s not clear what the policy intent is – it may be that they could replace this with a “no endorsement” provision which would be compliant.

(2) there is a reference in the second paragraph that reuse is “permitted within the legislation” according to Google translate.  The original is “în limitele legislației în vigoare” and the same phrase is used in the original of the fifth bullet, where Google translates as “within the law”, and in the final paragraph where Google makes it “legislation in force”.  It’s not clear whether these references are to specific legislation which establishes additional conditions(no reference is given) or whether they are saying in effect “any lawful use”.  The first could be problematical (especially if the legislation could change during the use of the data); the second is a common issue, where the Advisory Council has taken the view that it should not be the role of the licence to enforce the law.

Regards

Andrew