[od-discuss] Questions about attribution requirements in OS and English Heritage data

Kent Mewhort kent at openissues.ca
Tue Jul 23 08:21:46 UTC 2013

On 13-07-22 03:38 PM, Sander van der Waal wrote:

> Hi Kent, trying to get this clear: redistributing a work under an open
> licence is *not* sublicensing, but releasing the original work under a
> different licence *is*?
> Could you clarify what the difference is between these two cases? Is
> it the licencor?

Sure, let me try to clarify.  If an author places a work under an open
licence, this is effectively a licence "to the world".  The author
grants the rights to anyone who receives the work.  If someone else
redistributes that work, the downstream recipients are still receiving
their licence from the original author, not the redistributor.  The
original licence applies to everyone and there is no need to "sublicence".

In fact, a lot of open licences such as Creative Commons explicitly
prohibit sublicensing.  This is to make it clear that you're not allowed
to redistibute the work under a different licence.  You can't add any
terms to, nor remove any terms from, the original licence.  Of course,
if you make modifications, you can attach additional terms onto your own
modifications (unless a copyleft clause requires you to place these
under the same licence). Copyleft or not though, the original work is
still under the original licence.

Even when licences don't explicitly prohibit sublicensing, it's usually
implicit.  I'm not aware of any common open licences that allow
sublicencing.  There are a few specialized ones that do, but I would
hazard to guess they only do by mistake. The normal use case of
sublicencing is in the proprietary context.  Consider a scenario where
Company A licences a software library Foo to Company B. Company B
packages Foo into their product Bar and sells this to their customers.
Problematically, the customers who purchased Bar have no right to use
the embedded library Foo, as the licence from Company A only applies to
Company B, not Company B's customers.  The solution is a sublicence.
The licence for Foo grants Company B the right to sublicence Foo to
their own customers, under their own licence (usually for a
per-sublicence fee).

With respect to open licences though, the only use I see for
sublicencing is as a foolproof way to ensure compatibility with another
licence.  For example, I was pushing for the OGL Canada to include a
right to sublicence under CC-BY.  This way, if someone distributes an
adaptation which combines works under OGL and CC-BY, they don't need to
worry about whether the licence terms actually align.  They can simply
sublicence the whole package under CC-BY.

It's certainly a complicated nuance, as demonstrated by some licence
drafters even getting it wrong.  I hope this helps clarify a bit though!

Kent