[od-discuss] O[K]D?

Mike Linksvayer ml at gondwanaland.com
Thu Jun 13 23:05:32 UTC 2013

Mails from threads earlier this year about the name of the Open
[Knowledge] Definition. I think the summary is that
* "Open Definition" is how OKF people talk
* "Open Definition" is shorter
* "Open Knowledge Definition" doesn't claim to define openness generally

As an outsider (to OKF) that context is pretty important to me so as
to not sound ridiculous. I wonder if "Open Definition for Knowledge"
might work for all ("for Knowledge" dropping amongst familiars)?

This could also make the definition URL go from the current
http://opendefinition.org/okd to a nice http://opendefinition.org/knowledge
rather than a redundant http://opendefinition.org/od

http://freedomdefined.org has always done something a bit like this; you
won't find the "Freedom Definition" on that site, rather the "Definition
of Free Cultural Works".

Anyway, hopefully this can be definitively resolved through consensus,
edict from Rufus, appearance of graven markings on the surface of Mars,
or something else on or before tomorrow's telecon and proceed accordingly.

Before the old od-discuss mails, a data point from the published Open Source
Initiative board minutes on how the O[K]D filters through the mind of
whoever was
taking notes at a meeting of those responsible for another open definition --
http://opensource.org/minutes20130306

Antti Poikola http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/od-discuss/2013-March/000386.html

Andrew Katz http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/od-discuss/2013-March/000387.html

Laura James http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/od-discuss/2013-February/000322.html
> +1 on "Open Definition"  -  in all the conversations when I've heard the
> definition cited, it's been "Open Definition", and IMHO that's the brand
> that's known in the wider community, and is what we should stick with.

Herb Lainchbury
http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/od-discuss/2013-February/000319.html

Rufus Pollock http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/od-discuss/2013-February/000318.html
> I'm somewhat torn. I think the issue with pure OKD is that the
> knowledge has a somewhat odd ring and the main applications are around
> data and content.
>
> OD fits with this genericity (that the "knowledge" was ultimately
> trying to capture ...) and fits with the URL and is just shorter.

Mike Linksvayer
http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/od-discuss/2013-February/000317.html
(raised issue)