[od-discuss] Clipol.org Licensing Information db

Mike Linksvayer ml at gondwanaland.com
Thu Jun 6 18:05:02 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 6:13 AM, Kent Mewhort <kent at openissues.ca> wrote:
> Last year, I solicited and received some helpful feedback from everyone on
> this list regarding a project to create an "open licensing schema" that
> includes core information on license rights, obligations and restrictions.
> It's come a long way and I'd invite everyone to check it out at clipol.org,
> with feedback being most welcome and appreciated!  Note that, due to the
> increased complexities, I did have to diverge from the OD schema (which I'd
> originally planned to merely extend).
>
> From these license schemas, which you can view and use an API to retrieve,
> you'll see I've also implemented some tools to automatically generate
> user-friendly licence information, determine compatibility, compare licences
> and more.

Hi, really interesting, well done. Some random notes upon clicking around:

* Ironically https://github.com/kmewhort/clip is a classic no-license
github repo. Replace the generated README and add a license notice. :)

* The text compare tool doesn't get past "loading" for me (tried
Firefox and Chromium)

* Looks like you're using SPDX short identifiers, great!

* What does "compliant" mean? Approved as compliant by appropriate
body? Something vaguer? I think "approved" would be less ambiguous; if
compliance were unambiguous there'd be much less reason for bodies
like this list, and at the same time there are lots of obviously
compliant licenses that aren't formally approved.

* How is "domain" determined?

* In general descriptions of each term would be useful.

* In general seems like this is superset of
licenses.opendefinition.org; wonder what that means is rational to do
with latter?