[od-discuss] definition 1.2 outstanding issues

Luis Villa luis at tieguy.org
Mon Jun 17 00:36:49 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 6:32 PM, Mike Linksvayer <ml at gondwanaland.com> wrote:
> Other than bits of formatting and words added for explanation, the key
> change is these addition:
>
>     The license may prohibit technological restrictions.

>     The license must not place any additional restrictions or
> conditions on the access, use, reuse or redistribution of the data
> other than those explicitly described under this definition.
>
> This emerged from discussions about 18 months ago of licenses with
> clearly problematic terms that could be read as implicitly not allowed
> in 1.1; the addition makes this explicit. See
> http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/od-discuss/2012-January/000096.html
> for previous notes on changes and
> http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/od-discuss/2011-December/000087.html
> an entry to one of the previous discussions (where I claim additional
> restrictions are implied to be non-conformant).

I don't recall my position at the time, but I actually think these
licenses are meaningfully non-free. They prevent use on a wide variety
of common platforms and devices, and after a decade of efforts by
Creative Commons, there is no indication that clauses of this sort
have had the slightest positive effect in stemming the tide of DRM.

> * Copyedit (e.g., I just re-read and am baffled by use of the word
> "also" in the definition of "package")
> * Going beyond copyediting, I'm wondering about "Government and other
> administrative information"; how is that not content or data?
>
> * Consider whether the by the current draft CC-BY and CC-BY-SA 4.0
> will meet the revised definition; if not we need to give CC urgent
> feedback or amend the definition; the most prominent "open" licenses
> in these domains had better be really Open as we say.

See previous comment re DRM. I don't have time/inclination to review
further at this time.

> * Request comments on final draft from various lists; perhaps
> ** http://projects.opensource.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/license-discuss
> ** some OA list that I'm not on
> ** some OER list that I'm not on

There is also the comprehensive feedback I circulated earlier.

> We can discuss/take volunteers on the call Friday.

What did I miss? :)

Luis