[od-discuss] definition 1.2 outstanding issues

Mike Linksvayer ml at gondwanaland.com
Fri Jun 14 01:32:15 UTC 2013

Diff between current 1.1 version and 1.2dev viewable at
http://gondwanaland.com/tmp/okd11-dev-wdiff.html

Other than bits of formatting and words added for explanation, the key
change is these addition:

    The license may prohibit technological restrictions.

    The license must not place any additional restrictions or
conditions on the access, use, reuse or redistribution of the data
other than those explicitly described under this definition.

This emerged from discussions about 18 months ago of licenses with
clearly problematic terms that could be read as implicitly not allowed
in 1.1; the addition makes this explicit. See
http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/od-discuss/2012-January/000096.html
for previous notes on changes and
http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/od-discuss/2011-December/000087.html
an entry to one of the previous discussions (where I claim additional
restrictions are implied to be non-conformant).

What needs to be done to release 1.2?

* Settle on canonical name for the thing; see mail I sent a few hours
ago at http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/od-discuss/2013-June/000427.html
* Copyedit (e.g., I just re-read and am baffled by use of the word
"also" in the definition of "package")
* Going beyond copyediting, I'm wondering about "Government and other
administrative information"; how is that not content or data?
* Consider whether the by the current draft CC-BY and CC-BY-SA 4.0
will meet the revised definition; if not we need to give CC urgent
feedback or amend the definition; the most prominent "open" licenses
in these domains had better be really Open as we say.
* Request comments on final draft from various lists; perhaps
** http://projects.opensource.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/license-discuss