[od-discuss] Draft Response to Calgary

Kent Mewhort kent at openissues.ca
Tue Jun 25 12:12:49 UTC 2013

On 13-06-25 11:28 AM, Rufus Pollock wrote:
> On 25 June 2013 08:08, Kent Mewhort <kent at openissues.ca> wrote:
>> Hi Herb,
>>
>> Excellent & thorough response.  The only other thing I would mention is the
>> licensor's right to unilaterally terminate the licence, which is definitely
>> not open: "Furthermore, The City may, in its sole discretion, cancel or
>> suspend your access to the Data without notice and for any reason".
> To be clear is that *revocation* of the existing license or right to
> terminate access to the data (from hereon).
Good point, that's an important distinction.  I should have posted the
full clause:

/Furthermore, The City may, in its sole discretion, cancel or suspend
your access to the Data without notice and for any reason, including
anything which The City, in its sole discretion, believes is a breach of
these Terms of Use or is otherwise unlawful or harmful to others. In the
event of cancellation or suspension, you will no longer be authorized to
use or reproduce this Data, and The City may use any means possible to
enforce its decision. Such cancellation or suspension will not affect
any person who has received the datasets from you and who is otherwise
in compliance with these Terms of Use. /

The clause therefore grants the City to the discretion to revoke (1)
access; (2) the right to use; and (3) the right to reproduce. I think
it's fair to say this effectively amounts to a full revocation of the
rights granted under the licence (but may keep some of the obligations
in place).

Kent