[od-discuss] NEWBIE QUESTION: Why 'Open Definition' and not 'Open Knowledge Definition'?

Mike Linksvayer ml at gondwanaland.com
Tue Mar 26 17:36:38 UTC 2013

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 10:08 AM, Antti Poikola <antti.poikola at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am new to this list and most probably my question is very basic / stupid,
> but here it comes:
>
> Why is the definition called 'Open Definition' and not 'Open Knowledge
> Definition'?
>
> In few other languages it seems, that translators have seen it reasonable to
> include the word 'Knowledge' in the title: "Definisjon av åpen kunnskap,
> Definition av Öppen kunskap v.1.0, Определение открытой информации,
> Definizione di Conoscenza Aperta, Definición de Conocimiento Abierto,
> Definição de Conhecimento Aberto ja Definition: Offenes Wissen"

It's been called both. Recent discussion of the issue starting
http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/od-discuss/2013-February/000317.html
seems to have preferred leaving Knowledge out. It is something that
needs to be settled before we finalize and make some noise about O[K]D
1.2 (mail on that forthcoming, really).

Additional feedback on the issue welcome!