[od-discuss] Provincial and Game OGLs; Open Definition 2.0

Mike Linksvayer ml at gondwanaland.com
Tue Nov 5 04:05:11 GMT 2013

I took a quick look, and all 3 say

"The Open Government Licence – X is based on version 2.0 of the Open
Government Licence – British Columbia, which was developed through public
consultation and collaborative efforts by the provincial and federal
government. The only substantive change to the licence is references to the
Province of British Columbia are replaced with the City of X."

where X is name of city. Is this definitely the case? I have not done a
diff to verify.

I don't think it makes sense to submit each formally right now, but many
thanks for highlighting the existence of these licenses. Definitely a use
case to consider for OD 2.0.

So nobody else has to say the unpleasant thing: these appear to be "vanity"
licenses. Every government body (why stop at municipality?) having a named
license can't be anything but painful for users. But, they are probably
open. Are vanity licenses really needed to goad each level of government to
release data under open terms?

Mike