[od-discuss] Provincial and Game OGLs; Open Definition 2.0

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Tue Nov 5 06:21:27 GMT 2013

What's irritating to me is that there's no reason they need to use vanity
licenses with each province, they could simply adopt the definition for
"Information Provider" from the UK OGL: "the person or organisation
providing the Information under this licence" and then all use the OGL - BC.

I'm coming at this from the approach of a user who cares about the license,
so I need to analyze each license to see if I can use it. This analysis is
pretty easy if that's all they've changed and I've already looked at the BC
license, but I'd still need to run a word diff to check that that's really
all they've changed.

I'll go a bit farther on them being vanity licenses. All three, the BC
license, and the federal license are vanity licenses to the same extent.
None of them can be applied to data from other governments within Canada.
This doesn't appear to of blocked OGL-Canada-2.0 from being listed as
conformant.

Should is stop them from being conformant? I don't know, but I think the
same standard needs to apply to all five, being released at the same time.