[od-discuss] Provincial and Game OGLs; Open Definition 2.0

Levene, Mark Mark.Levene at tbs-sct.gc.ca
Wed Nov 6 15:30:00 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I thought I would chime in from my perspective working on Canada's OGL (and I'm cc'ing provincial colleagues).

The template approach is exactly the approach we are intending to implement for Canadian governments. We developed the  -Canada, -BC,  -Alberta, and -Ontario together from a common template. We are currently working on adoption guidelines for Canadian jurisdictions which will state which parts of the generic template need to be changed to account for local legislation (and those are the only parts that can change).

Canada is a federal system with multiple levels of Government and the legislation and management of copyright, FOI and privacy  (particularly Crown Copyright) are complex issues. Given this context, we all wanted to create a licence that was as open and as interoperable but met individual jurisdictional needs. We think that if a jurisdiction follows our guidelines, they come out the other end with an OD-conformant licence.  From this perspective, this is a reusable licence. Our modest aim is for the OGL to be taken up by all provinces/territories and municipalities in Canada. We're already up to 10 adopters and the list is growing.

Our suggestion would be to have the template tested for conformance.

There's still some work to be done. Our next steps will be to finalize our adoption guidelines, post the generic template licence and then start looking at how we can improve the template (for example, how we've written the attribution section needs some attention, not for intent but for clarity). We're also looking at solutions for the issue Kent identifies around how we manage the licence itself, to ensure that adopters follow the guidelines.

We're always interested in hearing your feedback.

--Mark

Mark Levene
Information Management | Gestion de l'information
Chief Information Officer Branch | Direction du dirigeant principal de l'information
Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat | Secrétariat du Conseil du Trésor du Canada
Ottawa, Canada K1A 0R5

Mark.Levene at tbs-sct.gc.ca
Telephone | Téléphone 613-952-5948 / Facsimile | Télécopieur 613-946-9893 / Teletypewriter | Téléimprimeur 613-957-9090