[od-discuss] Great post on difficulty of actually using "open" data

Luis Villa luis at lu.is
Thu Oct 17 18:31:40 UTC 2013

http://peterdesmet.com/posts/illegal-bullfrogs.html

Basically shows that remixing "open" data is currently insanely painful.

Implicit in the post: unlike source code, essentially *all* interesting use
of open data is remix. So difficulty in remix in source code is bad, but
difficulty in remix in data is nearly a showstopper.

Query: are we making the data-remix problem worse by approving licenses
that are copyleft, or that aren't explicitly compatible with each other?
i.e., is source code's definition of "open" not good enough for data,
because data is used in a much more intertwingled way than source code?

Relatedly, does this imply that we need a definition of compatibility? And
perhaps a second, more-favored list of "open *and* compatible with each
other" licenses?

Luis