[od-discuss] Getting the Open Game License accepted under the Open Definition

Mike Linksvayer ml at gondwanaland.com
Wed Oct 9 17:44:46 UTC 2013

A non-lawyer friend who has been following game licensing for a long
time, further background on the Open Game License, forwarded with
permission.

Conclusion:

[quoting OD] “A piece of data or content is open if anyone is free to
use, reuse,
and redistribute it — subject only, at most, to the requirement to
attribute and/or share-alike.”

I think the OGL was meant to fulfill that, but because it was heavily
applied to the d20 system, it was never applied by itself, so we don't
have a lot of use cases to go on.