[od-discuss] Fwd: [cc-licenses] 4.0: fourth (and final) license draft ready for comment

Kent Mewhort kent at openissues.ca
Fri Sep 13 11:04:17 UTC 2013

I just gave this latest draft a careful line-by-line read over and it
looks conformant to me (other than the clearly non-conformant NC clause
in this license type).

Although I don't think it makes it non-conformant, I completely agree
with Herb that the new requirement in 4.0 to identify the author "in any
reasonable manner requested by the Licensor (including by pseudonym or
trademark if designated)" is a slippery slope and a cause for concern.
There's a similar clause in GPLv3 which allows licensors to attach
additional terms for the "preservation of specified reasonable legal
notices or author attributions".  In at least a of couple cases, this
has been abused to require obnoxiously visible brand advertising and
watermarking (eg. Flexpaper and SugarCRM).

Certainly, the "reasonable" tempers the scope of what a licensor can
require and brand advertising demands may very well be out of scope;
however, in any case, it's easy enough for a licensor to use a
heavy-hand in crafting these attribution obligations, creating
uncertainty for licensees.

Kent