[od-discuss] v2.0 release

Aaron Wolf wolftune at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 17:35:29 UTC 2014

I really *like* the clarification about the relation between this
definition and other terms, i.e. "This essential meaning matches that of
"open" with respect to software as in the Open Source Definition
<http://www.opensource.org/docs/osd> and is synonymous with "free" or
"libre" as in the Definition of Free Cultural Works
<http://freedomdefined.org>."

but, the addition of "access" as a value for the OD (which I also support)
means that it isn't synonymous with these other things. The other Free /
Libre / Open Source terms do not specify anything about the resources being
accessible.

One more comment:

2.2.6 Technical Restriction Prohibition

The *license* *may* prohibit distribution of the work in a manner where
technical measures impose restrictions on the exercise of otherwise allowed
rights.

That section says "distribution" but I wonder if this restriction could
follow for other things as well. Could a license prohibit the *use* of the
work in any DRM? I'm not sure, I just wanted to ask others if they felt
that the word "distribution" covers the full scope of where this term may
apply.

Otherwise, looks good to me.

--
Aaron Wolf